Sunday 11 May 2014

The Blue Nile


Fantastically atmospheric photograph by Damian Shields of Glasgow's Renfield Street, taken from the headquarters of the Herald newspaper. (Source)

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine, visiting the city for the first time, commented that there was no real sense of cohesion to Glasgow's architecture -- it was like someone had just grabbed a bunch of random buildings and dropped them down in a random order. I'd never considered it before, but I instantly saw exactly what he was talking about (and liked the observation so much I ended up pilfering it to use in a script I wrote). In addition to showcasing how striking the sight of light being reflected off rain-drenched streets at night can be, I think this photo shows off the city's characteristically "mongrel" nature to great effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment